Monday, September 11, 2006

Why do cars wait for you to be lost in a strange city at midnight to break down?

I'm really REALLY wondering....

To give this story some background info.... I had an awards banquet for Southwestern in Vancouver this saturday. SO! I loaded up my car, picked up Rebecca Mulhern (my student manager), and off we went. Of course, Rebecca being Rebecca, she hadn't packed a thing, so we were off to a late start (am I seeing a pattern in names here....?). Was a fun drive there, we talked, laughed, played music, finally dropped her off at 11:30 pm, left at about 11:45 off to Becca's!! Now I'm navigating my way along, get accross the bridge, and get really confused around this whole turny thing, and end up zigging when I should've zagged, and found myself in this more industrial area, with a couple car dealerships. And thats when my car stopped running. I actually managed to get it to the stop line, in hopes I could restart it. No such luck. Ok... maybe i'm out of gas. Shit. Phone Becca to tell her I might be late. Then this couple stops next to my car (not hard, I'm sitting at a traffic light) and signal for me to roll down my window. They were so nice, they wanted to know what happened, if I was ok. Told them I might be outa gas, so they got me to lock my car up, and hop in theres... so, off on another adventure, I took a chance, and locked my car and got in theirs. They drove me to their house first, so they could get a gas can, then drove to a gas station so we could get some gas. Then off to my car again. Put in some gas, checked the oil annddddddd........ nothing. Fuck. So the man pushes my car and I steer it on to the side road, its in gear, and I"m releasing the clutch (a trick to starting cars with dead batteries... easier to do in standards than automatics) nothing. Pull the car over.... hook it up to jumper cables. Nothing... starting to get panicky. Try and wind it over, and still nothing. Shit. Musn't cry. So, he told me to lock up the car, and he was taking me to Becca's house. So... what else could I do, I took out my camera, and left everything else I'd brought with me in the car, in hopes noone would steal it, break in to it, or hit it, and we were off. They were wonderful tho, such a happy friendly couple.... wouldn't accept money for gas, insisted I just help someone else out. Got to Becca's, and called her down. Then collapsed on the sidewalk balling... then cheered up after awhile in Becca's house, and we chatted, then slept.

The next day, was all fun and games. The awards banquet was at 1 pm, we got up at 8 am. A friend of Becca's from theatre school came and picked us up, and drove us to my car. Still wouldn't start (it was worth a try tho right...). So we wander around the area trying to find a mechanic, but none are open. however one of the dealerships was, so she called a couple mechanics to see if anyone could take us. Found one, by the name of Prem. Called BCAA, and used my last call to get the car towed to Prem's place. Within seconds he looks at me and tells me its my distributer, and distributer cap. Yay. Only $150 for a used one! Hurrah... but he has to find one.... So Becca's friend takes us back to the aparment, where we get ready, kinda depending on the ride from the friend to get to UBC, but no clue on how to get home. But my grandfather calls, who is in Van for the week. Give him the number of the mechanic, he phones back to tell me he bartered the mechanic down, AND, the car is ready! Woo hoo! Finish getting ready, call Becca's friend, get to the car, (we've got 15 mins to get to UBC) and its off to pick up to Rebecca... of course, I take a wronge turn, blah blah blah, pick up Rebecca and her mom, and race to UBC. Showed up late, as per tradition, but at least alive.

The awards ceremony itself was cool, they introduced every single person and got them up on stage.... that was infact the entire ceremony. Very nice. Rebecca said some nice things about me, and I was so happy to have Becca there, even tho she was quite sick. OMG, my sister is singing in the shower. Anwyays, then dropped Rebecca's mom off, then Rebecca, then took Becca home, took her shopping, she made me a lovely Tofu Stirfry (my first tofu experince) and we just chilled out, watched Bridget Jones' Diary, and of course, some Sex and the City, and just tlaked.

For all Becca parties, her place is wonderful. THe roommates are super friendly, and Becca has a nice sized bathroom, the most wonderful towels in the world, and a spiffy room that screams Becca. Its awesome. And so comfortable... I just felt at home there. I miss it already. But I"ve said it before, adn I'll say it again, i'm so proud of that girl, and being there with her this weekend proved to me even more, that she belongs there.

Also, for the record, car is still not running smoothly... father and I will look into it tomorrow!

Hugs to you all, and I shall see you all soon hopefully!

OH! Happy link, http://jeffiscool.com/films16.html watch "The Love CartooN" very funny.... I like Betty best!!!

5 comments:

safromhell said...

thats why horses are good ..... if they break down you can always shoot them :0 kidding. and the address is 708 Faulkner cres. catch you later grasshopper

JJ said...

wow dez, that is absolutely fucking nuttttsssss. Either way It was really good to see you last night, it was fun to hang out with everyone and watch nic devour hot sauce... poor kid.

I heart you.

"IF I CAN SEE IT, AND I CAN TOUCH IT... I'M PROBABLY TURNED ON."

Cole said...

hahah.. My luck with cars seems to be rubbing of on you oh no!!hahah Yeah becca seems liek a vancouver girl no offence becca:D

Mel said...

Hello my friend! Sounds like an adventure and a half in van! This friday when becca is here Eric and I are gonna try to have lunch with her, say around 12:30. You must come too methinks, if you're not working. Gotta go do some more of that reading crap they like you to do in unimavercity. Talk to you soon,
Bye

Phil said...

Haha I heard about the story before you posted about it. And not from YOU! I'm a creepy stalker man!!

*Bus(o_o)hes*