Sunday, August 21, 2005

YAY French! BOO Texans!!

Uggg.... just got home from work, had a TERRIBLE night... first off, i'm sick. Like, really gross sick, feel like i'm gunna puke MOST of the time, but worse after i eat. Second off, my tips sucked tonight, i was upselling, being really upbeat, checking back, getting refills before ppl asked... and from a fair few tables, diddly squat... so that all in itself was really frusterating! Also... at one point the rain started to fall so hard it was pooring otu of the lights in the server area... like, wtf, how does that happen? rain through the LIGHTS!! It was spraying EVERYWHERE!! horrible, and because it was water and electricity, what'd we have to do? thats right, cut the lights, so we were kinda in the dark in the server area, tho not so bad once we adjusted to it!! however, i feel this prolly wasn't as bad as the roof caving in, and the pipes leaking right over a table, which happened to Becca today, and i was also stuck in that section...

But the absolute highest point of my night was... a French family came in (btw, when i say work i mean Denny's... not superstore, not tabor, not loghouse, not housesitting, or anything else, lol) *ahem* a French family came in, and the spoke right next to NO ENGLISH! Non Englais.... so i mustered up everything i could remember from my grade 11 french education, and did my best to talk to them en francais I did tres well, but the BEST part of it all.... i upsold covered french fries to them IN FRENCH!!!! that was just, freakin awesome!!! I was ssooooo proud!! And RIGHT after that moment.... the lowest part of my night occured...

I had our regular texan... he ordered a steakhouse strip and eggs. Steak medium, eggs over easy, french fries instead of hashbrowns, and white toast. At first he was awesome, we were jokin, laughin, talkin about the news... he was kinda needy like he was my only customer, but w/e... then i bring his food, which he has to "inspect" before i can leave. This inspection resulted in the discovery that his eggs weren't cooked enough, the whites were toooo soft. SO, i bring them back to the cooks, explain the problem.. they recook them. I bring them back, he says they're STILL not done enough, i bring them back again, but go off to check on my wonderful french family. In the meantime i assume someone (with less patience and knowledge of the situation) brings back his eggs. I come back to make the starter soups for my french family, which should've been done earlier, but i'd been to busy dealing with eggs. I look up, and the texan appears to have smoke curling around the top of his head, and my first thought is, OH NO! how do i tell him this is a nonsmoking restaurant? Then i look a little closer and see its comming from his ears, so i put down the soup and rush over... WELL! Apparently (or so he informed me by YELLING in my face...) his eggs are now too hard, and overcooked, and ALSO the rest of his meal is now cold (oh no, he couldn't eat the rest of his meal, even though his eggs were on a SEPERATE plate, no no no...) and i had walked past him and ignored him, and took way to long to check back on him... (by this point i'm getting a lil upset...) so i calmly ask if theres anything i can do, would he like me to remake it? "Yes!! I still need to eat, even though i don't want to anymore" ok.... deep breaths.... talk to the cooks, they're... a little edgy now, my eyes water up a lil, but i'm alright... they remake his meal, i run it out.... ooohhhhh..... low and behold, his new steak isnt' cooked enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO! I bring it BACK to the cooks and explain... they're a tiny bit upset and frusterated... if you replace "tiny bit" with "really freakin"..... ok *deep breath* i bring him his newly cooked steak, and he goes on about how the cook should be fired (wtf?!) and i fabricate some story about the cook being new and i got a different cook to cook his meal the last time (was really feeding him what he wanted to hear) now my room service order has come up, and shit, i forgot to ask to have the sour cream on the side... and thats when one of the cooks snaps... YYYAAYYYYY!!!!! Noooooott fun, however, Dave, the one that did MOST of the remakes, jumped in and helped out, so yay for Dave staying in good spirits... after this i went to the back and BURST into tears... recovered, checked back on the texan, who apparently STILL wasn't happy with his eggs, but decided to let it go, and if the ecoli killed him (would that REALLY be so bad?) I'd have to deal with that later, saw Phil, told him what happened, BURST in to tears again, but he gave me a hug, said I was short, made fun of my height, and gave me good tips for insulting customers to their face in my head. THEN... the strangest thing happened, which kinda actually pissed me off... the Texan apologized (maybe he saw me crying?) and said that tho SOME ppl blame the server, he himself knew it wasn't my fault (then WHY was he yelling?) and.... well he said other thigns, but all i heard was "blah blah blah, i'm an asshole" (thanks phil!) But at least the apology made Kyla feel better... she didn't wanna beat the guy up for me anymore!! *snicker* wonderful ppl at Dennys! Stick up for you, and make ya feel better! Also, the cook apologized to, which was really nice, but i wasn't too concerned, cause i really REALLY could sympathize with how frusterating the situation was!

And one of the more funny parts of my night... these two ladies came in and decided they wanted "non spicy nachos" which is apparently what they had last night... so can't be to bad right? wrong, the cooks are liek, you want WHAT?!! Ok... so i talk to the cooks, try and figure out what we could do...well... heres the deal with this... its impossible... the meat itself for the nachos has jalepenos in it!!! So maybe they don't want the EXTRA spices in it... so i go ask if they mind jalepenos in the hamburger, "NO! Absolutly NO jalepenos..." ok.... now waht?!? then Kyla goes... "hey Dez... they want nonspicy nachos right?" yup... "Ok, well, don't worry about it, just get them to make regular nachos, thats all i did for those two last night." Say WHAt?!?! how stupid can these ppl be?? sooo..... i tell the cooks just to make me nachos, forget the nonspicy crap, bring it out.... and they're fine with it, i even tempt fate and ask if its not to spicy, and they're like, "no its perfect!! thanks for the modifications." Hey, w/e floats your boat i geuss!! tho in my place the wolrd is only full of stupid ppl b/c there are laws against shooting them...

*Sigh* so taht was my night at work.... thank god tabor mtn called this mornign to cancel my shift, i doubt i could emotionally take both jobs!! eeee hee hee, it was fun colouring and italicing words to show empahsis! Ok, need to get this sick body to bed.... if i dream of eggs and steak, i'll kill myself!


"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. "

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."

3 comments:

Cole said...

Hey Sweets! Sorry to hear about your horriable day, but I am gald that Racer X was there to help ypu through it. Next time if you feel like un winding you can alway come here and eat lots of ice cream which we have always on stock!:D

becca said...

Aw, Dezzy...sorry to hear about your Texan. He sounds kinda familliar...maybe I've had the joy of serving him once before too...so, he appologised, but the real question is...did he tip?

And about the water from the lights...yeah, that happens every time it pours. It's Denny's, what can you expect?

Glad to hear that Phil helped you out...and he's right...making fun of people in your head (to their face) makes the job more fun.

Did I ever tell you about the time Karsten saved me from the heinous coffee barbarian?...

Anonymous said...

wow dezzeriedoo americans blow, your jobs are complicated and holy crap, reading what happens in your day(s) makes me realize how little i have to complain about, cheers dahlink i heart choo :P

-alishhhhhhhha